Resources - Atheism
These internet sites are related to atheism. If you know of a web site that should be included in this list, please share it with us.
- American Atheists
- American Atheists, Inc., is a nonprofit, nonpolitical, educational organization dedicated to the complete and absolute separation of state and church, accepting the explanation of Thomas Jefferson that the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States was meant to create a "wall of separation" between state and church.
- Atheism Network - essays and discussions by many authors on the subject of religion
- The Atheism Network features essays from a wide variety of authors, and encourages anyone to write quality essays (particularly about atheism) for inclusion on the web site which is known for its large international readership.
- Atheism Resource
- Atheism Resource provides easy access to a lot of high-quality information on the subject of atheism from historical, cultural, political, psychological, sociological, and scientific perspectives, covering a wide range of issues and presenting opinions through analysis of articles, books, and videos, as well as presenting some original thoughts. The authors don't force their ideas on anyone, and they respect free-speech and the rights of everyone to believe what they want to.
The goal is to help educate the masses and end the oppression that religion places on those who don't abide by its system of living. Faith, by definition, is the suspension of critical thinking, and the authors want people to believe things based on verifiable evidence rather than blind faith.
- Atheist Alliance International (AAI)
- Atheist Alliance International (AAI) is the umbrella organization of atheist groups and individuals around the world committed to promoting and defending reason. The AAI strongly opposes government support for religion, whether symbolic or financial, as a matter of being an essential human right that people have the freedom to be religious or not religious as they choose.
- Atheist Empire
- The Atheist Empire, which intends to be a guide to atheism, feartures great quotations (and a special section for not-so-great quotations), international atheism statistics, message boards, entertainment guides, atheist multimedia and downloads, videos, music, humour, etc.
- Atheist Frontier
- The Atheist Frontier provides information about atheism, and encourages the skeptical examination and discussion of science and technology, critical thinking, philosophy, life, history, cross-cultural ethics and morals, social-economic and political systems, and much more.
- Atheist Newshound
- The Atheist Newshound created the Atheist News Network for the purpose of distributing atheism-related news articles that are freely accessible to the general public.
- Atheist Universe
- The Atheist Universe is a diverse international online community of atheists, agnostics, freethinkers, and secular humanists interested in engaging in stimulating conversations in the areas of science, moral philosophy, the impact of religions on society and politics, arts and humanities, world news and current events, and many other subjects.
- BC Humanist Association (BCHA)
- The British Columbia Humanist Association (BCHA) is the oldest Canadian organization of freethinkers in the Lower Mainland. Since 1990s, the BCHA have provided a community for humanists, atheists, agnostics, and other freethinkers in Vancouver and across the province. The BCHA hosts regular discussions, social events, book clubs, cafes, and guest lecturers, making them a prominent community group.
- Canadian atheists - True, Northern, Strong, and Free
- The Canadian atheists are the national atheism group for Canada, and they are concerned about rights, freedoms, and the general well-being of atheists both in Canada and internationally. One of their core desires is for peaceful advocacy, and they are happy to participate in public discourse as a means of engaging in the free exchange of ideas.
- Centre for Inquiry (International)
- The purpose of the Center for Inquiry is to foster a secular society based on science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values.
- Centre for Inquiry (Canada)
- The Centre for Inquiry promotes and advances reason, science, secularism and freedom of inquiry in all areas of human endeavour.
- Clergy Project, The - Moving Beyond Faith
- The Clergy Project is a confidential online community for active and former clergy who do not hold supernatural beliefs. The Clergy Project's goal is to support members as they move beyond faith by freely discussing issues related to their transition from believer to unbeliever.
- Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF)
- The history of Western civilization shows us that most social and moral progress has been brought about by persons free from religion. In modern times the first to speak out for prison reform, for humane treatment of the mentally ill, for abolition of capital punishment, for women's right to vote, for death with dignity for the terminally ill, and for the right to choose contraception, sterilization, and abortion have been freethinkers, just as they were the first to call for an end to slavery. The Foundation works as an umbrella for those who are free from religion and are committed to the cherished principle of separation of state and church.
- Foundation Beyond Belief (humanity at work)
- Foundation Beyond Belief is a charitable foundation created to focus, encourage, and demonstrate humanist generosity and compassion. The organization selects and features five charitable organizations per quarter, one in each of the following cause areas:
- Poverty and Health
- Human Rights
- The Natural World
- Challenge the Gap (charities based in other worldviews)
- Humanist Community at Harvard (HCH)
- The Humanist Community at Harvard (HCH) is dedicated to building, educating, and nurturing a diverse community of Humanists, atheists, agnostics, and the non-religious at Harvard and beyond. HCH serves undergraduate and graduate student communities; in addition, Harvard faculty, staff, alumni, and the general public are welcome and encouraged to participate and join in HCH activities.
- Houston Atheists
- In every corner of the greater Houston area in Texas, USA, members gather in real life to share coffee, discuss books, visit parks with their children, listen to university lectures, check out the coolest bars, and partake in just about any other activity imaginable.
- International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU)
- Founded in Amsterdam in 1952, the International Humanist and Ethical Union is an international organisation embracing Humanist, atheist, rationalist, secularist, skeptic, laique, ethical cultural, freethought, and similar organisations worldwide.
- National Secular Society (NSS)
- The National Secular Society (NSS) is Britain's only organisation working exclusively towards a secular society. Founded in 1866, the NSS campaign from a non-religious perspective for the separation of religion and state, and promotes secularism as the best means to create a society in which people of all religions or none can live together fairly and cohesively. The NSS sees secularism, that is, the position that the state should be separate from religion, as an essential element in promoting equality between all citizens.
- Rational Response Squad - a place for activist atheists to unite
- The "rational responders" of the Rational Response Squad are an internation group of skeptics with a shared vision of eradicating ludicrous ideas and practices that they classify as "irrational precepts."
- Richard Dawkins Foundation
- The mission of the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science is to support scientific education, critical thinking, and humanity's evidence-based understanding of the natural world in the quest to overcome religious fundamentalism, superstition, intolerance, and suffering.
- Secular Safe Zone
- The Secular Safe Zone program trains and educates allies who will create safe spaces in which secular students can question, criticize, and discuss topics and issues important to them. By establishing Secular Safe Zones in all schools, this program will curtail the effects of discrimination, bullying, and social isolation faced by many secular students - especially high school students - in every society. The Secular Safe Zone provides the training and tools necessary to help allies understand and assist secular students on their way to establishing confident secular identities, who will in turn help build a more accepting and just society.
- Secular Web, The (a drop of reason in a pool of confusion)
- The Secular Web is a non-profit educational organization dedicated to defending and promoting a naturalistic worldview on the Internet. Naturalism is the "hypothesis that the natural world is a closed system" in the sense that "nothing that is not a part of the natural world affects it." As such, "naturalism implies that there are no supernatural entities," such as gods, angels, demons, ghosts, or other spirits, "or at least none that actually exercises its power to affect the natural world," and without miraculous interventions into nature from a spiritual realm, neither prayer nor magick are more effective than a placebo.
- Secular Woman - Breaking through
- Secular Woman envisions a future in which women without supernatural beliefs have the opportunities and resources they need to participate openly and confidently as respected voices of leadership in the secular community and every aspect of American society.
Secular Woman wishes to be instrumental in increasing gender diversity within the secular community, particularly by amplifying the voice, presence, and influence of non-religious women.
- Spiritual Reality Therapy
- Spiritual Reality Therapy deals with the belief in the existence of spirits, ghosts, gods, angels and other claimed spiritual entities. The reality is that spiritual entities exist solely in our imagination, and therapy is required when people cannot understand this.
- Truth Saves (T:S)
- Truth-Saves is a web site that was created with one goal in mind: The sharing of research and knowledge. The primary message of this web site is that truth is defined as conformity with fact or reality, and that what is defined as truth is based on the most current available evidence and facts, not personal opinions, traditions, or authority. This web site never claims "absolute truth" and its work is routinely checked and rechecked to ensure the most accurate content.
- United COR (United Coalition of Reason)
- The United Coalition of Reason is a non-profit organization that helps local non-theistic groups work together to achieve higher visibility, gain more members, and have a greater impact in their local areas. UnitedCOR achieves this goal by assisting local groups in the "community of reason" to cooperate with each other.
("Community of reason" is a generic term that includes all self-identified non-theistic organizations, whether they call themselves atheist, agnostic, bright, Ethical Culture, free-thought, humanist, Pastafarian, rationalist, realist, skeptic, secularist, Unitarian Universalist, or whatever else.)